One of the side benefits of participating in this year’s Downtown Loft Tour is that we learned a little more about the history of the building we work in:
Pinkham Building (now PowerServe). Built in 1879, this three-story brick building originally had two stores on the first floor and two dwelling spaces on the upper floors. It was built by contractor W.H. Stallings for Fred L. Pinkham whose wife, Minnie Dickey, owned the property with her family. Being adjacent to the old Planter’s Hotel, at one time the residential spaces on the top floors were rented to families who were registered there. It has housed at various times an auto supply store, liquor store, kosher delicatessen and shoe repair. Like the adjacent building, it was rehabilitated by Bankers First Federal Savings and Loan Association and dedicated as part of Lafayette Center in 1985. Later sold and used as offices.
Downtown Augusta, Georgia is rich with history, and we’re glad to be apart of it.