Blogs are a unique way for your readers, users, or clients to keep up with what’s happening with you and your company. It can be more conversational than your website, and can interact with readers in an enjoyable way.
Since starting and keeping up with our own blog, we’ve discovered a handful of elements that would benefit any post:
1. A magnetic headline – The headline of any blog post is the first impression you make on a potential reader. Writing great headlines is critical.
2. Open with something exciting – It’s important to capture the reader’s imagination and pull them further into the post’s content.
3. Use good grammar – Persuasive words, good sentences, it’s all important when blog-post writing, clearly. Certain words have different connotations than others, so it’s important to be intentional with which ones you choose.
4. Utilize subheadings – This is for the extra long blog posts. A Microsoft Word document type blog post is going to seem too intimidating for people so they probably won’t read it. If you utilize subheadings, writing them creatively, even if someone doesn’t read the entire post, they’ll skim for the high points and still glean some solid information.
5. Choose an interesting image – Anyone loves a good story or article, but what has the power to get someone’s attention is a solid image. When you’re trying to get the biggest bang out of a blog post, it’s smart to let strong imagery do some heavy lifting.
6. Close in style – Your final thought can be a cliff-hanger, a witty joke, or something of the like; the goal of effective writing is to take the reader on an informative ride from start to finish. The key to a successful ending is understanding exactly where you are wanting to take the reader before you even start to write.
7. Be authentic – You don’t have to be a veteran copywriter, or famous novelist, to create copy that works for you. Often it is passion and sincerity that brings readers to your posts. One last, seemingly odd reminder would be this: write like you speak. Enjoy it, and be yourself.
Have any other tips that you love? Share them with us!