If you’re waiting for Santa to bring your business a mobile web presence you’re going to miss out on a significant number of holiday sales that will be transacted on mobile devices. Black Friday sales were up 26% this year over last and mobile shoppers represented 17% of those sales. Is there any reason to think that trend won’t continue through the holiday season and into the new year? We don’t think so, either.
Take a look at a few more interesting statistics while you snack on your milk and cookies:
- 10.8 – The percentage of people who used a mobile device to access a retailer’s site on Cyber Monday (up from 3.9% last year).
- 43 – The percentage of mobile users who have downloaded a retail app to make their shopping easier.
- 52 – The percentage of mobile users who will use their smartphone to research products, redeem coupons, and make purchases.
- 65 – The percentage of mobile users who said they used their mobile device to FIND A STORE so they could make an in-store purchase.
- 80 – The percentage of mobile users who immediately QUIT SHOPPING because of a poorly working mobile site.
- 100 – The percentage of mobiles sales you’re going to miss if you don’t have a web presence at all.
A few things on the list you’ll want to check twice to be sure you’re serving up a mobile presence are:
- Auto-detect code – When your site is accessed by a user on a mobile device, it should be able to detect the device and render the mobile version. If you cannot create a mobile version of your entire website, at least have a mobile-optimized landing page with a display ad. Mobile display ads are proving extremely effective in driving customers to the door.
- Mobile-optimize your site – Eighty people out of a hundred will leave your site and go shopping somewhere else if you don’t give them a good experience. Have you taken a look at your own website on your mobile phone lately? How easy is it to navigate, find driving directions to your location, or actually make a purchase? If you sense any frustration with your own website, imagine how your customers feel.
- Local Call to Action – There has been a big push lately to “shop locally”. A promotion or discount that is specific to the mobile customer will increase the chances that they will respond favorably. Research shows that mobile alerts drive 1 out of 3 recipients in-store and 27% of those make a purchase.
Mobile users have proven to be customers who act quickly when they see something they want and actually take offline action within a day of their mobile search. Be sure you are in front of their eyes and you’ll reap the rewards of their shopping.
Need help to get your site up to speed? Give us a call. We’re here for you.